If you’ve accidentally hit someone from behind, you might wonder if you’re automatically at fault. Not only will you need to deal with the damage to your own car or potential injury, you might also be faced with insurance negotiations with the other driver. Are you always at fault if you rear-end someone? The answer might surprise you.
You’re not always at fault
We hope you never experience a rear-end collision, but if you do, there might be good news for you. There are some instances in which the driver in front of you may be entirely or partially at fault. These include:
• Sudden braking, which can make it difficult or impossible for you to stop or which can be done to annoy or aggravate other drivers
• Driving aggressively or haphazardly
• Failing to indicate when changing lanes or turning, leading you to suddenly brake
• Driving too slowly, causing a collision
• Dangerous driving, such as in bad weather, which can cause a rear-ender
• Merging dangerously in front of you, or cutting you off – forcing you to brake suddenly
• Failing to pull over and put their hazard lights on in a breakdown, causing an accident
• Suddenly reversing
• Lacking functional brake lights, so you can’t tell when they’ve stopped
• Encroaching on space left between two cars, causing a rear-end collision
Always drive safely
Even though there are instances in which the leading driver is to blame, tailgating is never legal. If you’re involved in a rear-end collision and you’ve hit the car in front, you will almost always be considered partly to blame thanks to what’s known as “presumed liability”. It’s therefore important you do your best to drive safely and responsibly at all times.
Not at fault after a rear-end collision? Not My Fault is here to help
If you need an accident replacement car after you’ve been involved in a collision that wasn’t your fault, choose Not My Fault car hire. We provide an incredible fleet of courtesy cars to help drivers get back on the road after they’ve been in a prang. Apply online 24/7 to receive a quality car delivered directly to your door. Contact us today on 1800 699 034.